Taupo-nui-a-Tia College: the best of two worlds
Welcome to Taupo-nui-a-Tia College, situated in the heart of the North Island.
Taupo-nui-a-Tia College offers you a combination of two very important things in life
1. The excellent academic standard of the school, with high qualified staff and well equipped classroom facilities. Our students achieve national success, not only academically, but also in many sports and cultural activities
2. The superb and safe environment of a reasonably small town (36,000) in the middle of paradise. With the crystal clear fresh water lake, surrounded by native bush with the best mountain bike tracks and only an hour away from Tongariro national park, with the unique hiking possibilities and the biggest ski fields in the country, Taupo is a unique destination to live.
In my first week, I already got to play rugby with the first XV, due to a perfect match with me and my homestay family. I now play for the regional team as well.
What makes us unique?
Taupo nui a Tia is very proud to have one of the best equipped Technology blocks in our region, with a great range of possibilities to develop technology skills. We offer Design and visual communication, photography, textile design, painting and arts, metal, wood , digital technology, hospitality and food and nutrition in classrooms that are up to a very high standard. Our DVC department is supported by several 3-D printers. Please see pictures.
Our Outdoor education department is a thriving team, never to tired to take foreign students out for a personal adventure and introduce them to the outdoor life style. The department has got their own mountain bikes, kayaks and hike equipment to cater for classes up to 28 to go on an adventure.
For students with English as second language we have the support of well qualified ESOL department.
I have tried to give you a good overview of what our school has to offer.
As an International Student coordinator, my focus is to make sure the students feel safe, happy and are able to be open to get the best out of this experience. I like them to try new things. I have an open door policy, so students can come and talk with me or my colleague Alli Walker if they need to. I love guiding the students through this journey with so many emotional aspects.
Ten years ago, I arrived, from the Netherlands, in Taupo with my family; three small kids and my husband. Ten years of great involvement in the community have given me a good overview of the possibilities , activities and do’s and don’ts in New Zealand and Taupo. Coming from a different culture gives me the skills to deal with home sickness, confusion and cultural shocks.
Sports, Activities & Trips
Taupo-nui-a-Tia College is a top sporting college; renowned both locally and nationally as a nurturing ground for fine young sportspeople. We offer more than 30 different sports to join, either socially or competitively. Our school participates in most sports in the secondary school competition tournaments. The school events we have are school athletics day, cross country and swimming sports
Drama is a popular choice by many students. Our thriving department provides students with the opportunities through school productions, drama festivals, and national competitions.
Once a year, before the end of term 2, the school organises spirit week. For many students this is the highlight of the school year. It includes action packed activities, crazy fun, and competitions to celebrate being part of a positive school community.
In the autumn holidays, our school organises a surf camp in Whangamata, mainly for our International Department
Sports & Activities
- Outdoor education
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Surfing throughout the year
Languages we teach
- Design and visual communication
- Enterprise studies
- Environmental action ( year 12)
- Classical studies
- Music media and technology ( year 11)
- Enhanced performance dance
- Sport and Outdoor education
- Outdoor education and leadership (year 13)
- Media studies ( year 13)
End of Year Programme
Our ” End of the year program” for students who don’t sit exams is a well balanced program full of action, culture, community involvement and fun.
Last year our “End of the year program” consisted of 5 weeks:
Week 1: Adventures in the bush (sleeping in huts, river crossings, bomb fires, of the beaten track activities
Week 2: A mix from Ying and Yang: Cultural day, Rafting, Tongariro Crossing, Hobbiton and kayaking
Week 3: Community Service wee: Giving back to the community: volunteer week in preparation of the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge
Week 4: Epic tramp week: 4 days tramping/camping around the most beautiful lake Whakeremoana, exploring waterfalls, hidden beaches and native forest
Week 5: Go with the flow: 4 days surf camp in Whangamata, staying in the most relaxed place on earth
In NZ the sports are divided in winter and summer sports.
Most team sports like Rugby, soccer, netball, basketball, hockey and netball are played competitively during term 2 and 3.
Hockey and soccer do also have their social business house competition open for everyone during term 4 and 1.
In the summer term 4 and 1, our summer sports get a turn: rowing, Waka Ama, sailing, triathlon, open water swimming. Taupo has a mountain bike summer series for all levels, a road bike track racing event and also sports like volleyball and cricket are more summer based.
Our possibilities and facilities for a small town are incredible with a squash court, several tennis courts, a swimming pool with 2x 25 meter, a hockey turf. training pools, great sports grounds for soccer, rugby and cricket, an athletics pitch etc.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4|
|Modka (Martial Arts)|
|Open water swimming|
Director International Students
Please note that these fees are approximate. Contact StudyNZ or the school for exact fees depending on your choice of activities or subjects.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4|
|School Fees||$5,800.00 nzd||$8,700.00 nzd||$11,600.00 nzd||$14,500.00 nzd|
|Homestay Fees||$2,400.00 nzd||$2,400.00 nzd||$2,400.00 nzd||$2,400.00 nzd|
|Extramural Fees||$500.00 nzd||$80.00 nzd||$130.00 nzd||$650.00 nzd|
|Study NZ Fees*||$2,600.00 nzd|
* Our Fees include the consultation beforehand, school choice, assistance with all paperwork and visa application, preparation for time abroad. Pick up on arrival. Transfer to family or domestic flight depending on destination and support during entire stay in New Zealand for student and family. Airport drop off or check in support in Auckland for departure to home country depending on departure situation. We also offer orientation and farewell camps for our students on arrival and departure. Health Insurance is compulsory and can be taken out through StudyNZ with Unicare under our Masterpolicy.