Established in 1932, Waihi College is a co-educational school, 10 minutes drive from stunning Waihi Beach and 45 minutes from the vibrant city of Tauranga.
We encourage academic excellence and pride ourselves on developing confident, lifelong learners who are well prepared for their future. With a roll averaging 660 students, we are big enough to offer great choices and small enough to feel like a family.
My time here in NZ it’s been by far, one of the best experiences of my life. I will never forget Waihi College and the friends that I’ve made here. Thanks for every single moment, you’ll always remain in my heart, Carla
Carla Munoz Llanten
What makes us unique?
Our outdoor Education Programme is the envy of many with our local surf school, mountain bike trails, native bush, rivers and harbour providing students with the opportunity to excel.Waihi College is located on extensive grounds with its own farm and kiwifruit orchard to support our agricultural, beekeeping and horticultural programmes.
• Location – Stunning Rural/Seaside Community, yet close to cities
• Surf School
• Beach/Farm/Town Homestays
• Padi Dive Certificate Course
• Outstanding Outdoor Education opportunities
• School Farm and Kiwifruit Orchard
• Swimming Pool (full size)
• Swim Club
• Rugby and Soccer Fields
• Netball,Tennis and Basketball Courts
• Weights Room
• Farm and Kiwifruit Orchard
• Quad bikes and tractor
• School Vans to assist education outside the classroom
• Mountain Bikes
• Music/Drama Suite
• Product Design/Woodwork /Technology/Catering/Textiles/Art/Photography
• Science Laboratories
• Kapahaka Group
• Maori Language Classes
• Tikanga Maori
• Performing Arts Troupe
The past 9 months just flew past but left a lot of memories and friends for life. My time here was just amazing and the best I had in my life so far. I just love it here and I don’t want to leave! Thank you so much to everyone for making this time unforgettable and as perfect as it was! I will miss my kiwi life and all the people around it heaps but I will always remember this life-changing time I had here! Waihi is now my second home and I will come back as soon as possible to visit all of you guys!
Sports, Activities & Trips
Our outdoor education courses are among the best in the country utilizing spectacular outdoor venues including nearby Waihi Beach, the Kaimai Ranges and Karangahake Gorge. Outdoor education options during the year include abseiling, adventure based learning, camping, high ropes, kayaking, mountain biking, outdoor first aid, rock climbing, tramping, scuba diving and surfing.
In addition to our Outdoor Education and End of Year Programmes, we offer a wonderful range of overnight and day activities for students. Some we organise ourselves and some are offered through our trusted local tour operators who specialise in holiday tours and trips for international students.
Sports & Activities
- Surf Club
- Coromandel Tour
- Journey to Hobbiton
- Bay of Island and Cape Reinga Tour
- Visit to White Island Volcano
- Black Water Rafting - underground
- Waitomo Gloworm Caves
- Cultural Tour of Rotorua
- Tongariro Crossing
- Taupo Sky Diving and Bungy
- Auckland Shopping Trip
- Skiing and Snow Boarding
Languages we teach
- Te Reo Maori
- All other languages are delivered through supported online learning
- Troupe Waihi - commercial street performance group
- Tikanga Maori (culture, customs, etiquette "the Maori way to do things)
- Te Reo Maori (language)
- Textiles (fabric)
- Building and Construction
- Outdoor Education
- Sports Education
- Physical Education
- Media Design
- Engineering Technology
- Digital Technology
- Food Technology
- Art Photography
- Art Painting
End of Year Programme
Waihi College offers one of the most exciting and comprehensive end of year
programmes available in New Zealand schools. With activities ranging from a five day cycle camp around the Coromandel Peninsular to technology days, camping and helping out on our school farm, there is something for everyone and no chance of getting bored.
Waihi College teachers run the activities for the full four weeks of our senior exam leave and all activities include free travel and accommodation.
During the end of year programme, students will have the opportunity to receive extra IELTS tuition in preparation for the IELTS examination held at a local university.
Most sports in New Zealand are seasonal. The following tells you which sports you can expect to be on offer during each term.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4|
Waihi College International Director
Waihi College Homestay Manager and Activities Coordinator
Please note that these fees are approximate. Contact StudyNZ or the school for exact fees depending on your choice of activities or subjects.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3||Term 4|
|School Fees||$3,625.00 nzd||$3,625.00 nzd||$3,625.00 nzd||$3,625.00 nzd|
|Homestay Fees||$2,600.00 nzd||$2,600.00 nzd||$2,600.00 nzd||$2,600.00 nzd|
|Extramural Fees||$1,000.00 nzd||$1,000.00 nzd||$1,000.00 nzd||$1,000.00 nzd|
|Study NZ Fees*||$2,600.00 nzd|
* Our Fees include the consultation beforehand, school choice, assistance with all paperwork and visa application, preparation for time abroad. Pick up on arrival. Transfer to family or domestic flight depending on destination and support during entire stay in New Zealand for student and family. Airport drop off or check in support in Auckland for departure to home country depending on departure situation. We also offer orientation and farewell camps for our students on arrival and departure. Health Insurance is compulsory and can be taken out through StudyNZ with Unicare under our Masterpolicy.